NEW YORK (July 7, 2011) — Calorie Count (www.caloriecount.com), a free award-winning online health and wellness Web site with more than 2.8 million members, today announced the launch of a new barcode scanning feature for the popular Calorie Count iPhone application.
The barcode addition utilizes technology to scan and locate nutritional data for approximately 100,000 nationally-available packaged food items. Once a user scans the desired product, a comprehensive nutritional analysis loads, including the product’s calories, fat, sodium and sugar content. The users can then log the item into his or her daily food diary if desired.
“At Calorie Count, we are always looking for new ways to make our healthy-living tools and services even more valuable to users,” said Igor Lebovic, co-founder, CalorieCount.com. “Our new barcode scanner will provide our members with an easy-to-use option to efficiently log nutritional information, whether they are in a grocery store or within their own home, giving them yet another way to reach their health and wellness goals.”
Key features of the Calorie Count application include:
- A new barcode scanner for even more efficient searching and logging of foods.
- An easy-to-use graphical dashboard that allows users to navigate through the application while being able to quickly visualize their dieting progress.
- One of the most comprehensive nutritional analyses of food.
- Access to more than 250,000 food items for searching and logging.
- Tools to view current and past foods, and activity.
- Visual weight logs featuring interactive graphs.
- The ability to compare intake and daily burn expenditure using Calorie Count’s net calorie gauge.
- A section with more than 150 low-calorie and healthy recipes from About.com (www.about.com). This interface allows users to browse and select recipes based on course, food group and dietary considerations.
- Access to Calorie Count’s daily blog (www.caloriecount.com/blog) to help users stay motivated and informed.
- Recording daily weight and viewing charts to measure body’s progress against weight loss goals.
- Automatic updates of information logged on Calorie Count member accounts through a computer or the iPhone application.
About The About Group
The About Group comprises the Web sites About.com, ConsumerSearch.com and CalorieCount.com. About.com is a valuable platform for content that helps users solve the large and small needs of everyday life. ConsumerSearch.com analyzes expert and user-generated consumer product reviews and recommends the best products to purchase based on the findings. CalorieCount.com is an online resource that helps users solve the everyday challenges of losing weight and living a healthy lifestyle.
The About Group is part of The New York Times Company (NYSE: NYT), a leading media company with 2010 revenues of $2.4 billion, includes The New York Times, the International Herald Tribune, The Boston Globe, 15 other daily newspapers and more than 50 Web sites, including NYTimes.com, Boston.com and About.com. The Company’s core purpose is to enhance society by creating, collecting and distributing high-quality news, information and entertainment.