NEW YORK (April 21, 2010) – Calorie Count (www.caloriecount.com), a free award-winning online dieting service with over 1.9 million members, announced today the launch of its Calorie Count App at the iPhone App store and the expansion of its mobile Web site. The application allows iPhone and iPod touch users to search and log nutritional data for over 100,000 foods, popular exercises and healthy recipes, as well as track their weight-loss, all while on the go.
Key features of the Calorie Count App include:
- An easy-to-use dashboard with graphics that allows users to navigate through the application while being able to quickly visualize their dieting progress.
- One of the most comprehensive nutritional analyses of food consumption – against daily targets – among calorie counting iPhone Apps.
- The ability to quickly search and easily log more than 100,000 food items.
- Tools to view current and past food, activity and weight logs including a graph of your weight history.
- More than 150 low-calorie recipes from About.com (www.about.com), selected by Calorie Count’s registered dietitian, Mary Hartley. This interface allows users to select recipes based on course, food group and dietary considerations.
- Access to Calorie Count’s daily blog (www.caloriecount.com/blog) to help users stay motivated and informed.
- The ability to record daily weight, and view charts and graphs to measure your body’s progress against weight-loss goals.
- Automatic updates of information logged on Calorie Count member accounts through a computer or the iPhone App.
- An offline mode that allows members to view recent logs, view and re-log favorites, and input their weight without an Internet connection.
In addition to launching the application, Calorie Count has also redesigned its mobile Web site, further enabling users to manage their accounts on the go. The Calorie Count mobile Web site is optimized for leading smartphone devices and can be accessed by visiting ccm.about.com via a mobile browser.
“Our new application is the About Group’s first ever iPhone and iPod touch application. It provides Calorie Count members with a convenient and fun way to manage their diet and weight while they are mobile,” said Cella Irvine, president and CEO, the About Group. “We are also excited to introduce Calorie Count to the millions of iPhone and iPod touch users, who may be looking for a robust, yet free system to help reach their weight goals.”
The Calorie Count App is available for free from the App Store on iPhone and iPod touch or at: www.itunes.com/appstore/. For more information, please visit http://www.caloriecount.com/mobile.
About The About Group
The About Group comprises the Web sites About.com, ConsumerSearch.com, UCompareHealthCare.com and Caloriecount.about.com. About.com is one of the Web’s leading producers of original content. The site’s expert Guides provide users with accurate and unbiased information to help them live happier, healthier and more successful lives. ConsumerSearch.com analyzes expert and user-generated consumer product reviews and recommends the best products to purchase based on their findings.
UCompareHealthCare.com provides dynamic interactive tools that enable users to measure the quality of healthcare services. Caloriecount.about.com offers weight management tools, social support and nutritional information to help users achieve their diet goals.
The About Group is part of The New York Times Company, a leading media company with 2008 revenues of $2.9 billion, includes The New York Times, the International Herald Tribune, The Boston Globe, 15 other daily newspapers, WQXR-FM and more than 50 Web sites, including NYTimes.com, Boston.com and About.com. The Company’s core purpose is to enhance society by creating, collecting and distributing high-quality news, information and entertainment.
Erica McDonald, 212-204-1724, E-mail: email@example.com