NEW YORK (April 26, 2006) – 16 new Guide Sites to offer practical information on topics ranging from First Aid to “Lost”.
Web visitors will now have even more practical solutions and information at their fingertips when they visit About.com, the top 10 content Web site and largest publisher of original content on the Web. This spring About.com has added several special interest content sites to its already rich offerings that HP a network of over 500 sites and 57,000 topics.
About.com, the Web site for practical solutions to everyday questions, has more than 500 expert “Guides” who share their passions, expertise and how-to information with visitors to About.com every day.
- Bestsellers http://bestsellers.about.com/ – Erin Miller offers the latest information on new and upcoming releases, as well as resources for going deeper into one’s reading, such as starting and maintaining a book club.
- Chicago for Visitors http://gochicago.about.com/ – Prescott Carlson, a Chicago native, is the perfect guide for the Windy City, with ideas that will make your trip extraordinary.
- eBay http://ebay.about.com/ – Aron Hsiao, eBay enthusiast and former eBay employee, has information on becoming a successful eBay user.
- First Aid http://firstaid.about.com/ – A paramedic with over 17 years in emergency medical service, Rod Brouhard covers subjects related to first aid, CPR and emergency response.
- Furniture http://furniture.about.com/ – A veteran journalist and author of two design books, Fred Albert has been writing about homes and interior for more than 25 years. His site offers design solutions, buying tips and information on how-to care for your furniture.
- Gainesville http://gainesville.about.com/ – Jenna Dietzer offers a comprehensive look at Gainesville, Florida, covering attractions both for the visitor and prospective resident.
- Game Boy http://gameboy.about.com/ – A video game industry insider and a self-proclaimed lover of all things Game Boy, D.S. Cohen provides information geared towards all gamers, covering all current and past Game Boy systems with reviews, profiles and tips for parents to make the right game choices.
- Home Business http://homebusiness.about.com/ – Randy Duermyer’s site provides practical information for anyone working or running a business from home.
- Kosher Food http://kosherfood.about.com/ – Giora Shimoni’s site makes cooking kosher meals a breeze with easy tips and recipes to keep your whole family happy no matter what time of year.
- London for Visitors http://golondon.about.com – Former travel guide researcher and resident of London, Laura Porter has the scoop on fun and unusual things to do that go beyond the typical tourist spots.
- Lost http://lost.about.com/ – Bonnie Covel relays information in an organized and entertaining format to make sure you get the most out of Lost, whether you’ve watched Lost from the beginning or if you’ve never watched the show before.
- PSP http://psp.about.com/ – Niko Silvester helps Playstation Portable users get the most out of their gaming device.
- Punk Music http://punkmusic.about.com/ – Hailing from the land of Iggy Pop, the godfather of punk music, Ryan Cooper provides a complete look at this music genre — from the history of punk music to artists and albums.
- R & B http://randb.about.com – As a lifelong R&B music fan and music critic since 1995, Mark Edward Nero is a knowledgeable resource for the latest news in R&B, offering musical recommendations for fans new and old.
- Retailing http://retail.about.com/ – Having been in retail for over 25 years, Shari Waters has all the information you need to get your retail business off the ground and to keep it profitable.
- Web Browsers http://browsers.about.com
Michael Methvin is an online veteran dedicated to improving the safety, efficiency, and reliability of the Internet experience for his readers.
“We’re enormously pleased to be adding deeper content and a wide range of new talent to the About.com network,” said Mike Daecher, senior vice president, content and guide operations. “These new Guide Sites, just a sampling of the 100 we’ll add in 2006, extend About.com’s relevance to a whole new audience.”
About.com visitors can rely on Guides to offer an informed perspective, speaking with authority, passion, personal experience and real field knowledge. For instance, Aron Hsiao, the About.com Guide to eBay, says, “I’m now a bigger eBay user than ever, successfully buying and selling hundreds of items every year. I’d love to help you do the same!”
Founded in 1996, About.com is the leading online source for original consumer information and advice and was acquired in March 2005 by The New York Times Company (NYSE: NYT), a leading media company with 2005 revenues of $3.4 billion. The New York Times Company includes The New York Times, the International Herald Tribune, The Boston Globe, 15 other daily newspapers, nine network-affiliated television stations, two New York City radio stations and 35 Web sites, including NYTimes.com, Boston.com and About.com. The Company’s core purpose is to enhance society by creating, collecting and distributing high-quality news, information and entertainment.
For About.com: Lisa Langsdorf, 212-204-1467 firstname.lastname@example.org